How did YOU start using Linux? Your story.

All threads related to any flava of Linux or BSD.
AXEL_HAX
Apprentice
How did YOU start using Linux? Your story.

Post by AXEL_HAX » Wed Oct 31, 2007 9:45 pm

I know, Im an awesome topic starter right? Yeah.

Anyway, I was on MSN once, Chatting with a guy that said he went to the library and popped in a knoppix Live cd to get past some things, and the librarian caught him, and he got in trouble, because the Chick thought he made a virus, because the start menu was gone.

Well...I heard trouble, So i figured I would jump right in, and downloaded mahself a knoppix .iso

Woot woot. Burned it to a cd, popped it in, Excitement, My blood coarsing through my veins like a bat out of hell. When it got past the booting screen...
it was there.

In Deutsch.

I cursed a little.

Spent another day on my slow internet and got an english one.

Played with KDE and its environment, and fell in love.

Later on, maybe a month or so after a few linux magazines Pilfered my Bedroom, I decided to make the switch. And Installed PCLinuxOS and dual booted windows. Had some problems, including ALSA, some more cursing was involved, and I gave up.

Well later on, I kept hearing about ubuntu. RIGHT before the stage when it became EXTREMELY popular, I installed it.

Used strictly gnome, with ubuntu, and a few aps, and i was hooked.

I always had problems with my wifi card which was discouraging at first, but after countless days of trying to fix the problem, the last, simplest easiest thing on the earth, editing some config files :p. Took me 5 minutes. THEN I DROPPED THE LAPTOP ON THE FLOOR. and thought i broke it. When I realized it was fine, I laughed so hard i peed a little.

Well I heard about Beryl, and copiz a little while later, and installed it, and after hours and hours of configuring, I finally had it up and running and it amazed my non linux savvy computers, and elderly folk of my region that I was the l33test thing since Corn pops came out.

The end :o

ndckweaver
Sargeant at Arms

Post by ndckweaver » Wed Oct 31, 2007 10:44 pm

Well, i was all virused out on my windows box from excessive pr0n surfing, and i needed another operating system to boot after the format, (obviously not my finest hour but i dont think i have the only story like this) I had a friend up the street preaching about linux in general so i had some copies mailed to me and through all the bumps ive been using it ever since.
Do a Barrel Roll!

alpha_geek
Hacker in Training

Post by alpha_geek » Thu Nov 01, 2007 6:52 am

I was a complete windows lover, I had set up all sorts of "complicated" windows networks, using win 2000/2003 exchange, SQL, sharepoint, ISA etc etc. I only got involved with servers, around 2 years before that because I wanted to set up a media PC to integrate my TV etc. I had tried several solutions, and I did not like any of them. I fount that I was spending more time using my xbox for music and video, than I was watching TV, but it was a real pain, involving several remotes to switch between the two. So I began looking for a way to integrate my digi-box and my xbox, what I found was mythTV. I set up a computer to be a MythTV server, and installed knoppmyth.

After using it for a few weeks, and reading more and more about Linux, I also decided to Install Linux on all my other computers. Not looked back since.
la la-la la-la la-la
crazy.. me... no!

Arxo Clay
n00b

Post by Arxo Clay » Thu Nov 01, 2007 9:23 am

Heard having a linux shell could help me learn something new. So I set about searching for an appropriate flava. Heard Ubuntu was gr8 for beginners. Ordered it online and after some patient waiting finally got my hands on the cd.

I tried ubuntu this once. I found the softwares to be buggy and had trouble connecting to the net ( the mythical config files). Ive got limited hard disk space , so got rid of it and now have windows xp and don't understand what the linux fuss is all about!!

Phan0x
n00b
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1275: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Post by Phan0x » Thu Nov 08, 2007 6:47 am

I began with computers in general when I 9 yrs old. After a few years I felt the need for something other than windows. Well I found linux. Started to get an interest for programming and I now do some Python. Never looked back since. Programming is so much more fun to do with *nix than windows.
-Phan0x-

IceDane
Because I Can
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1275: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Post by IceDane » Thu Nov 08, 2007 11:46 am

Phan0x wrote:I began with computers in general when I 9 yrs old. After a few years I felt the need for something other than windows. Well I found linux. Started to get an interest for programming and I now do some Python. Never looked back since. Programming is so much more fun to do with *nix than windows.
I love people that like to show off like that - "I started using computers in my mother's womb!"

.. Especially when they only know python after .. yeah, who knows how many years of experience.

fivefold
htd0rg lieutenant

Post by fivefold » Thu Nov 08, 2007 12:35 pm

I started using the computer the second I was conceived. I STILL don't know python.
Buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo.

IceDane
Because I Can

Post by IceDane » Thu Nov 08, 2007 2:51 pm

fivefold wrote:I started using the computer the second I was conceived. I STILL don't know python.
Yes, but that's irrelevant, as you're raving mongoloid while he's clearly a prodigy.

Aiden
Administrator

Post by Aiden » Thu Nov 08, 2007 4:45 pm

I was the windows dude for my childhood, mostly for gaming and did HTML. I tried js, but it was insanely not worth it at the time, and then tried css, which was also not worth it (so I thought). Then I got into hacking and downloaded Backtrack.

It was leet linux and I wanted to try more. My brother had been using ubuntu for a few years, so he got me to install it. At the time, I only wanted it for the awesome menu thing called fluxbox. I didn't get it, but liked it anyway and stuck with it. ;)

Also, IceDance is just jealous because I programmed a game a lot like Halo 3 in HTML when I was just 4 and he was still like "LOL BASIC WUT".
"When it takes forever to learn all the rules, no time is left for breaking them."

IceDane
Because I Can

Post by IceDane » Thu Nov 08, 2007 4:49 pm

drusepth wrote:I was the windows dude for my childhood, mostly for gaming and did HTML. I tried js, but it was insanely not worth it at the time, and then tried css, which was also not worth it (so I thought). Then I got into hacking and downloaded Backtrack.

It was leet linux and I wanted to try more. My brother had been using ubuntu for a few years, so he got me to install it. At the time, I only wanted it for the awesome menu thing called fluxbox. I didn't get it, but liked it anyway and stuck with it. ;)

Also, IceDance is just jealous because I programmed a game a lot like Halo 3 in HTML when I was just 4 and he was still like "LOL BASIC WUT".
=(

fivefold
htd0rg lieutenant

Post by fivefold » Thu Nov 08, 2007 8:10 pm

IceDane wrote:Yes, but that's irrelevant, as you're raving mongoloid while he's clearly a prodigy.
i tayc ofens 2 taht durhurhurhur

v
Sargeant at Arms

Post by v » Tue Nov 13, 2007 6:37 pm

I got a SGI IRIS 3130 for X-Mas when i was 5 years old and i have never looked back since giving up my Amiga 500...
Meh, time to hit the sack.

$ /etc/shutdown -y -g0 -i0 -p
Cake, and grief counseling will be available at the conclusion of the test. Thank you for helping us help you help us all.
Click here now and - CAKE - will be served immediately!

B-Con
Challenge Winner [1x]

Post by B-Con » Sat Nov 24, 2007 10:26 pm

Disliked Windows, eventually got up the motivation to try Linux, started with Kubuntu, hated KDE, switched to Ubuntu, spent most of Physics I and II playing with it and building my own IPTABLES firewalls, found all the equivalent Linux software for stuff I used on Windows, and couldn't think of a reason to go back.
- "Cryptographically secure linear feedback shift register based stream ciphers" -- a phrase that'll get any party started.

- Why know the ordinary when you can understand the extraordinary?

3g0man
Apprentice

Post by 3g0man » Sat Dec 22, 2007 10:26 am

heard about it, was curious and asked my teacher to hook me up since i was on dialup. he gave me a three disk set of redhat 9, installed it on my old compaq work station that night. had some problems with sound. took me a few hours to learn the jargon like RPM, and dependency but after an all nighter I atleast knew what I was doing.

The hardware support that redhat offered me sucked, and i thought gnome was ugly (at the time) so i asked my teacher if there was a way around this and he gave me an old knoppix cd and asked me to bring the class up to speed on it.

loved knoppix. it looked cool, all the commands were the same, and i had sound. i found the code to install it on my hard drive and soon i had it on my old micron laptop and desktop. soon upgraded from that to slackware and i still use it from time to time but for the most part i am settled on ubuntu (gnome can be sexy afterall).

Fishbones
Tough Luck ;-)

Post by Fishbones » Sun Dec 23, 2007 1:05 am

Got into htd0rg. Got into programming... Started hearing this buzz about open-source, and how great it is.

I heard Ubuntu was great for beginners, so I grabbed the liveCD off of an FTP server, and burned it. After booting it up, I thought that it was great, easily configurable (the desktop), and I fell in love with Gnome. But this was before I had tried any other environment. I tried kUbuntu, because I was curious in difference. I liked KDE because of a single button, no application hunting.

I read some tutorials, joined some other forums, and thats where I reside most of the time now, learning about *nix and the works. Now I have a dual-boot laptop, with Backtrack 2 and Windows XP.
46 69 73 68 62 6f 6e 65 73

Patience is not a virtue, but a discipline.
-Fishbones

hormesis
Veteran

Post by hormesis » Sun Dec 23, 2007 1:54 am

Fishbones wrote:Got into htd0rg. Got into programming... Started hearing this buzz about open-source, and how great it is.

I heard Ubuntu was great for beginners, so I grabbed the liveCD off of an FTP server, and burned it. After booting it up, I thought that it was great, easily configurable (the desktop), and I fell in love with Gnome. But this was before I had tried any other environment. I tried kUbuntu, because I was curious in difference. I liked KDE because of a single button, no application hunting.

I read some tutorials, joined some other forums, and thats where I reside most of the time now, learning about *nix and the works. Now I have a dual-boot laptop, with Backtrack 2 and Windows XP.
nobody likes you.

Fishbones
Tough Luck ;-)

Post by Fishbones » Sun Dec 23, 2007 3:58 pm

hormesis wrote:
Fishbones wrote:Got into htd0rg. Got into programming... Started hearing this buzz about open-source, and how great it is.

nobody likes you.
Hormesis, gtfo.

You just clicked this forum to flame. Thats why I hardly come here anymore, too many kids like you. Grow the F*** up. Act your age.

-Fishbones

hormesis
Veteran

Post by hormesis » Sun Dec 23, 2007 5:07 pm

No u.

Fishbones
Tough Luck ;-)

Post by Fishbones » Sun Dec 23, 2007 6:41 pm

Exactly... grow up. The internet is a wealth of knowledge, and also a bank full of retards. Explained here, huh hormesis?

-Fishbones

IceDane
Because I Can

Post by IceDane » Sun Dec 23, 2007 6:47 pm

Fishbones wrote:Exactly... grow up. The internet is a wealth of knowledge, and also a bank full of retards. Explained here, huh hormesis?
no u.

Come on, fishbones. The intarwebs are not to be taken seriously, exactly because of semi-retarded mongoloids like our mate hormesis here.

By acknowledging his insult, he wins. By ignoring it, he just sucks.